WERNWAG BRIDGE

The Hickman Covered Bridge, constructed in 1838, was the longest cantilever wooden bridge in the U.S. It was also the only bridge across the steep-banked Kentucky River in central Kentucky during the Civil War. The bridge was torn down in the 1930's after the steel truss bridge was completed. Only the stone abutments remain today. It was designed by Lewis Wernwag and is also known locally as the Wernwag Bridge. On March 28, 1863 the bridge was the site of a skirmish between the Union and Confederate Armies.

On March 28, 1863 the bridge was the site of a skirmish between the Union and Confederate Armies.

BACK TO MAP




MAIN MENU   |   JOIN   |   E-MAIL   |   EXIT


© CAMP NELSON RESTORATION AND PRESERVATION FOUNDATION